Sunday, February 17, 2013

Retro Fun: Cherry Cream Cheese Pinwheel Rollups

Sometimes it's just plain fun to make something retro.   Well, I think it is.    Cherry Cream Cheese Pinwheels are about as retro as you can get. 

A few years ago, I was with one of my sisters when she instructed one of my nieces on the fine points of making these little pinwheels.   They're a "60's" or maybe even "50's" type of canape, but oh so much fun to make, and eat.   You can gussy them up or just do them plain.    And no, you don't use tortilla's for these, you use bread. 
Cherry Cream Cheese Pinwheel Rollups

See, now you're curious and want to read more...


Mix two 8 oz. packages of cream cheese with one small jar drained chopped maraschino cherries, taste, then decide you need more flavour, so you add some Grand Marnier.   Maybe two teaspoons, mix together, taste and then  you can add some almond extract or some chopped nuts.    It's all good.   I stuck with just the Grand Marnier this time, but next time, I'm adding toasted, chopped pecans. 

Cut a loaf of bread lengthwise, trim off the crust, either before or if you're like me, after you slice it.

 You then take each slice and roll it out with a rolling pin.  Yup, you want to flatten that bread into submission.  And be prepared, that bread will try to plump back up again, so you'll probably need to roll it a little more, before you spread the filling on there.





Spread the Maraschino Cream Cheese spread over the bread and roll up.

Just like this.



Cherry Cream Cheese Pinwheel Rollups


Wrap them and put them into the fridge for several hours or even better, overnight.    Take out and slice into slices, and arrange on a pretty plate.   Serve and watch people get nostalgic.

Cherry Cream Cheese Pinwheel Rollups




Cherry Cream Cheese Pinwheel Rollups
 I also had fun with one of the rolls, I tried to  make it into a heart shape, and then cut the slices out. 
Cherry Cream Cheese Pinwheel Rollups

Cherry Cream Cheese Pinwheel Rollups

  It kinda worked.     I had fun doing it at any rate, so there.   Garnish the plate with a few sprigs of parsley or cilantro or something to make it look cute.   Which I totally spaced doing cause I got a phone call as I was getting ready to leave and whoosh, that thought left.



Cherry Cream Cheese Pinwheel Rollups


After all if you can't have fun with your food, what's the point of growing up?  

UpdateThis recipe and more like it are also available in my newest cookbook, Nibbles and Bites.
Just released - Nibbles and Bites - A Compilation of Appetizers, Canapes and Finger Foods.  Available as both in book form and as an ebook.  
My cookbook Hygge - Danish Food and Recipes would be a great gift for any foodies in your life. Available as a Kindle e book or in paperback. Autographed copies are also available at the Danish Windmill in Elk Horn, Iowa or on their website.
Sidsel Munkholm - Author
Sidsel Munkholm - Author

Sid loves to cook, feed people and have fun in the kitchen. She shares her successes and the involuntary offerings she sometimes gives the kitchen goddess as well. And she's still looking for the mythical fairy to help her clean the kitchen after a marathon cooking session. Currently working on a cookbook showcasing the recipes from her Danish heritage.

5 comments:

  1. ive been making these for years and love em!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My nana used to make these with cheez whiz and chopped cherries, for every baby shower and bridal shower and fancy tea party. I'm looking forward to trying the cream cheese version.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheeze Whiz and cherries? I have to try that version as well,it sounds good.

      Delete
  3. І pay a ԛᥙick visit everyday some websites and sites to read
    content, however this blog provides quality baѕed articles.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from my readers, so please feel free to drop me a note, let me know if you like something I made, it makes my day.